A dental crown is a dental restoration that is created in a dental lab by a technician and is also called a porcelain crown or ceramic crown. A dental crown is made of certain materials like ceramic, gold, porcelain fused to metal. During the preparation process, the dentist makes room for the dental crown by removing some of the tooth structure across the whole tooth.
Why do you need a dental crown?
The reason to restore the tooth with a dental crown, include:
- Whenever you need a root canal or had a root canal procedure carried out, then it is suggested to reconstruct the tooth with the help of a porcelain crown. After having a root canal, the tooth gets brittle and might start breaking when applied pressure while biting. So, it is essential to get it restored with a crown.
- If there is a broken tooth and a porcelain onlay is unable to provide a long-lasting result, then the dentist might advise you to get a crown placed over the broken tooth.
- If an old crown needs to get replaced due to decay or fracture, or some other cosmetic reasons, then a new crown is needed in such a situation.
What is a dental bridge?
If there is a gap made by one or more teeth due to extraction or some other reason, then in such cases, a bridge can help. The bridges are usually made of porcelain, gold, alloys, or a combination of these materials. They are bonded onto the adjacent teeth to provide support. The bridge can last long if you have healthy teeth, gums, and jaw.
Why do you need a dental bridge?
If you have a missing tooth or missing teeth, it can affect you in various ways. A dental bridge can help you out in such a situation by bringing changes, such as:
- Restore your smile
- Restore the ability to chew properly
- Restore the way you speak and pronounce words
- The shape of the face can be maintained
- Correct bite by applying equal force while eating
- Remaining teeth can be prevented from moving out of the right position
Call us at (713) 526-0056 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Dinh for a consultation at our office in Houston, TX.